All About Kindergarten
We can't wait to welcome your Zanewood STEAM scholar to the Class of 2034! Each day of kindergarten is a unique chance for your child to make new friends, learn new things and grow in their independence. We're excited to meet you!
- Meet Our Staff
- How to Enroll at Zanewood STEAM
- Calendars & Events
- Early Childhood Screening
- ParentVUE, Peachjar & SmartSchoolK12
- Busing, Child Care & Meals
The Zanewood staff can't wait to welcome your child to kindergarten!
Ms. Pendelton, Principal
Ms. Gulyard, Assistant Principal
Other Important Contacts
Mr. Pha (enrollment & transportation questions)
Ms. Jimenez-Marez (attendance clerk)
Ms. Attipou (school nurse)
Are you not yet enrolled at Zanewood? Our Enrollment Center staff will help you through the process!
Please note: To qualify for enrollment into Kindergarten your child must turn 5 on or before Sept. 1 of the school year desired.
Prepare Enrollment Materials
- Schedule your child’s Early Childhood screening (call schedule online). or
- Complete and return the enrollment packet and required checklist documents (mailed in late November to all households in our database) to the Enrollment Center. If you did not receive an enrollment packet, please request a Kindergarten Information Fair kit.
- Required documents needed when enrolling:
- Proofs of Residency (two forms)
- Photo ID of Parent/legal guardian
- Birth Certificate or Passport
- Updated child’s required immunizations
Submit the enrollment forms in one of the following ways:
- Email: EnrollmentCenter@district279.org
- Fax: 763-585-7368
- U.S. mail: Osseo Enrollment Center, 7051 Brooklyn Blvd., Brooklyn Center, MN 55429
- In person: Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Lobby drop box: only available during non-business hours
Our district's Early Childhood Screening is required by the state and should be completed prior to a child turning five years old. The screening is free and includes a developmental check of vision and hearing, height and weight, immunization status, large and small muscles skills/development, thinking, language and communication skills and social and emotional development.
If your student has not yet been screened, please be sure to schedule an appointment prior to the beginning of the school year. If your student has been screened in another district, that is sufficient to satisfy this requirement.
Early Childhood Screenings are offered at:
- Arbor View Early Childhood Center: 9401 Fernbrook Ln. N, Maple Grove
- Willow Lane Early Childhood Center: 7020 Perry Ave. N, Brooklyn Center
What is ParentVUE?
ParentVUE is a personal online account for parents and guardians to access grades, attendance, contact information, scheduling for parent/teacher conferences and more. An access code to set up your ParentVUE account can be obtained by email from the school administrative assistant; please send your student's name, grade and date of birth, as well as your own name and address. Since the access code gives access to personal information, it can only be shared with the parent/guardian on student records.
What is Peachjar?
Peachjar is Zanewood's electronic flyer communication system. Every Wednesday it is updated with the latest information about events and happenings in our school and community. Check it out under "Family Access" on the Zanewood website.
What is SmartSchoolK12?
SmartSchoolK12 is your family's online account to monitor and add funds to lunch accounts, register and pay for extracurricular activities and pay and review school fees. Your account can be created directly in SmartSchoolK12; find it under "Family Access."
Read more about the district's transportation services, or contact our transportation department at 763-391-7244 or BusQuestions@district279.org.
Kidstop is a choice-based, high-quality and enriching school-age care experience for children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Kidstop is open from 6:30 a.m. until school start time and from school end time until 6:00 p.m. Tuition includes a healthy morning breakfast and afternoon snack.
Breakfast items are distributed daily to any student at Zanewood who would like them. If you have questions about breakfast or lunch, please contact the main office at 763-561-9077.
Free & Reduced-Price Lunch
Please visit SmartSchoolK12 (which can be found under the "Family Access" tab at the top of each website page) for questions about Free & Reduced-Price Lunch. Applications can also be found there; please note that forms submitted electronically will be processed quicker than those that are printed.